13th January 2021
Here at BMHT we fund the restoration of many precious and interesting items, in order to put our Heritage on display at our local museums. We have thoroughly enjoyed working on these projects and look forward to the opportunity to fund many more. Here are some of our latest works.
Minton & Co. Tile, Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, 1850-1851 (made)
This tile was made by Minton & Co. as part of the large stove designed entirely by A.W.N Pugin for the centrepiece of the Medieval Court at the Great Exhibition, 1851. The stove was constructed of majolica-glazed tiles set on an iron frame made by Hardman & Co. of Birmingham.
This particular tile was one of the upper tiles, which was perforated to allow head to escape. Pugin was one of the leading figures of the Gothic Revival in England, famed for designing the interiors of the Houses of Parliament, he produced a number of designs for Minton, including tableware.
This beautiful blouse was donated by the great granddaughter of Sarah Ellen Tolson. Sarah made the blouse by hand from a delicate silk blend fabric in the late Victorian period.
This is very special to our collection because it is an item of clothing from a working-class woman, something quite rare in most museum collections. Sarah lived on Chapel Street in Barnsley and was a servant in a large house on Victoria Road, not too far from the Barnsley Museum.
Sarah Ellen Tolson’s family are so pleased we have given the blouse a home. The family have conserved and donated many other family related items since and have continued to build on their relationship with us. We are so pleased to take on such personal heirlooms.
McLintocks Quilted Housecoat, Late 19th century
A big Victorian house without central heating could be pretty chilly! A McLintocks housecoat was comfortable, attractive as well as warm. This example has a decorative pattern of flowers, birds and butterflies, with red seams and a lovely red lining, made from a cotton sateen fabric, filled with down.
The McLintocks garments in this exhibition were rescued from the factory by the curator of Cannon Hall Museum, not long after the company closed the works in 1977. This housecoat was scheduled to be on display last year at the Tailor-Made exhibition at Experience Barnsley.
Ann Rachel Elmhirst’s Sedan Chair, 18th century
This Sedan Chair belonged to Ann Rachel Elmhirst of Ouslethwaite Hall, Worsbrough. She was said to have been a fierce, busy, dominating little woman, which was fortunate for the two men who had to carry her on short journeys.
She was born on the 12th October 1771 at Stixwold Abbey, Lincolnshire. She married her second Cousin William Elmhirst in 1790, who was born at Genn House, Worsbrough on the 11th April 1759.
Their first two children were William (17/10/1791) and Thomas (22/6/1793) both of whom died tragically in 1799 after getting lost in Wombwell Wood, perhaps having drunk contaminated water and contracting a fatal infection. Although their mother was devastated by their deaths, Ann Rachel had five more children after her third son, Robert (10/12/1794). There was another William (15/5/1799), another Thomas (24/2/1801) and then Richard, Ann and Elizabeth.
After the death of her first two sons Ann Rachel kept two William III Crown coins— which had belonged to her first William and Thomas— one of which has WE 1797 scratched on it. She died in November 1857, but those two coins have remained in the Elmhirst family ever since and can be seen in this display.
Ann Rachel Elmhirst was the great-great-grandmother of Richard, Paul, Elizabeth and Tim Elmhirst who have given this Sedan Chair to the people of Barnsley and Worsbrough.