Cannon Hall North Range Glass
13th May 2021
Cannon Hall is a superb example of a Georgian Estate and the North Range Glass is one of the oldest glass houses in the walled garden. There have been multiple stages of construction, starting in the 1790’s, with alterations in around 1850 and with a new glass front in around 1920.
The building went out of use after the 2nd World War and by 2010 it was in a terrible state and in need of complete restoration.
In 2020 funds have been realised to refurbish the fabric of this building with a new roof, windows and doors, and in Spring 2021 two new pieces of glass have been constructed on the front, giving it a new smart appearance, all funded as part of the Parks for People National Lottery funded project.
Later this year, we intend to renovate the interior of the rear building to provide a much needed training room, providing a space for learning for young people, families and adults, which will hopefully be opening in 2022. This has been made possible as funds have been raised through BMBC capital funds and a £50,000 grant from the Wolfson Foundation, secure by Barnsley Museums and Heritage Trust.